Personal tools

Admissions FAQ



Does Viticulture and Enology have a Ph.D. program?

No, Viticulture & Enology Department does not offer a Ph.D. program. Students wishing to pursue a PhD in the field or continue on after their M.S. in Viticulture and Enology must apply to another graduate group, such as Agricultural and Environmental Chemistry, or Food Science.


Can I take Viticulture & Enology classes without being enrolled in the graduate or undergraduate program?

Yes, students may enroll through Open Campus via UC Davis Extension on the first day of class on a space-available basis, and with instructor permission. Note that to minimally understand our courses you must have completed course work or training equivalent to the listed course prerequisites.


Where else can I obtain training without being enrolled in the graduate or undergraduate program?

Students unable to come to campus for a full degree program may consider taking one or more "short courses" through UC Davis Extension. Courses range in duration from one day to three weeks and are completely separate from the courses offered through UC Davis. Note that short courses do not carry university credit and thus cannot be applied to a degree program. In addition, UC Davis Extension offers a Certificate Program in Winemaking for distance learners, and the UC Davis Graduate School of Management offers a Wine Executive Program.


I have a Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field, can I just apply for a second Bachelor's in Viticulture & Enology?

No. The University of California has established a policy no longer allowing second Bachelor's degrees. However, a significant number of our Master's students have Bachelor's degrees from outside the field, and applicants looking to re-train from other fields or careers are welcome.


Do you offer a non-thesis M.S.?

Yes. Our Master's program offers two tracks, Plan I (research and thesis) and Plan II - Professional Science Masters (PSM) (with an internship, a small scale project, and a comprehensive exam).  Both of these tracks lead to obtaining the same degree and diploma, and both will provide you with much of the same coursework necessary for a career in the wine industry.


Does the Graduate Group require applicants to contact faculty before submitting an application?



Can I fulfill the prerequisite coursework once I begin the Master's program?

The prerequisites established for admission to the program reflect two main concerns. The first is that the program of study for the Master's in Viticulture & Enology is rigorous and demanding, so that fulfilling prerequisites once enrolled will likely conflict with the program coursework. Secondly, the individual courses in the program will require these prerequisites as well, and they rarely allow concurrent enrollment, so that students will not be allowed to enroll in their needed classes without having already fulfilled them.


Which GPA is used in the application?

The minimum 3.0 GPA requirement refers to the GPA earned at the institution that awarded the Bachelor's degree.


Does the Department have a supplemental application?

No, all you need to submit is the general UC Davis graduate online application form found at


Where do I apply for funding?

The fellowship application has been incorporated into the online graduate school application process. In addition, all admitted domestic students will file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is essential in order to qualify for many types of financial assistance including departmental or campus fellowships. Information about student loans for graduate school is available from the Financial Aid Office.


How much are UC Davis tuition and fees?

You can find the most current fees and tuition through the UC Davis Office of Budget & Institutional Analysis.


How do you qualify for California residence?

The Office of the University Registrar makes determinations as to California residence for tuition purposes, more information is available at their Tuition and Residence page. All incoming students regardless of status must submit a Statement of Legal Residence (Form SLR). International students cannot establish California residence for tuition purposes. US citizens and permanent residents are considered California residents for tuition purposes if, among other things, they can document 366 days of physical presence in California prior to the first day of instruction, and an intent to make California their permanent home. The complete set of requirements and documentation ("indicia of intent") can be found in the University of California Residence Policy and Guidelines.


How is the GRE score used?

Only the general GRE consisting of the verbal, quantitative, analytical writing sections is required. The GRE subject test or the Writing Assessment test are not needed. The admissions committee uses the percentile information from GRE score reports. In the past, applicants have had verbal and quantitative scores in the 70th percentile and above, and analytical scores in the 50th percentile and above.


Does Viticulture & Enology admit applicants for the Winter or Spring quarter?

No, the graduate group only processes applications once a year for the Fall.


When will I be notified of admission?

Once a completed online application and all supporting documentation (letters of recommendation, transcripts and test scores, and application fee) have arrived, the application will be reviewed by the graduate group Admissions Committee. The Committee reviews all applications and forwards their recommendations to accept or decline applicants to the Dean of Graduate Studies, who then verifies all admission requirements have been met. Applicants have the abililty to check the status of their applications online. Applicants will be notified by the Office of Graduate Studies via electronic mail that a decision has been made and instructed to return to the online application web site to see the decision. This will come in the form of an “electronic letter”. Applicants will be notified of their admission status by late June.


Once admitted, can I defer admission?

No. An offer of admission is only valid for the quarter and year in which it is offered. If you cannot begin the program of study, please reapply for the year you would like to begin.


Should I have a major professor before being admitted?

That is not necessary. Students pursuing a Plan I (thesis) Master's degree may wish to contact faculty prior to beginning their graduate program in order to help them define a course of research. Students pursuing a Plan II Professional Science Master's degree will be under the supervision of the graduate group chair.


How do students fund their program of study?

Please recognize that admission into the graduate program does not guarantee any financial support.   Admitted students are eligible for financial assistance in the form of teaching and research assistantships but should plan on incurring the cost of fees, tuition and living expenses during their studies.  All domestic students should plan to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available on-line. 



Additional Links

Document Actions

« July 2017 »